Sunday, October 9, 2016

Content Curation Self-Evaluation Using PLN-created Criteria

Areas where I felt criteria were fully met are in blue. Areas where I felt my content curation can improve to meet criteria are typed in red.

1.Ensure the topic is interesting to the target audience. If not, your curated content will fail to capture or hold your audience's’ attention. (Deshpande, P. 2016).

My curated content is interest to my target audience because it is relevant to anyone who uses, or wishes to use, audience response systems in their classroom or training environment. The articles that I shared on Scoop.it are practical and applicable to the theme.

2.  It is important to continually add new content to your digital collection. An   important part of a content curator’s job is to continually identify new content for their audience. (Zhong, C., 2013)

I have added new content each day this week since I created my Scoop.it page. I will continue to add new content each week.

3.   Effective content curation highlights content that readers have never seen in a way that adds value and impresses the original source (Hudgins 2015). Curators should share valuable content that people haven’t seen. To grow a following, you want to be a trend finder as well as a trend analyst.

While it is hard to find content that people have not already seen, I plan to search for new trends in audience response system use in education and share that information. Another way that I will add brand new content is to create my own content.

4.    To create a collection of content that is useful and well-selected, find and select content that appeals to a specific niche. According to Carton, “If you want to curate a collection and draw attention, you’ll probably have better luck focusing on a niche topic specific to your industry” (2011). If you are an educator in higher education, for example, select content that applies to higher education as opposed to general education.

Upon assessing my own content, I think that I should narrow my curation down to higher education instead of education in general. My content seems to be too general based on this criteria.

5.    Pull content from a consistent set of sources. Content coming consistently from a core set of sources will make finding reliable content easier.
My content is gathered mainly from education sites. It is reliable because much of the content is scholarly articles from college websites or trusted educational websites.

6.      Use Social Media Wisely. As you gain success as a curator, you may be tempted to start widening your audience and maybe even your topics. But stay focused, especially with social media. Keep your social media focused on your curation to keep your professional edge.

I only shared my content on Scoop.it and cross posted it on Facebook. I will cross post my Scoop.it page to Twitter as well. I don’t post anything other than professional, relevant content on my social media pages.

7.  Frame your curated content. Instead of just auto-tweeting the headline of an article in less time than it takes to read it, add your own context. Great curation makes the content better by highlighting it in a new way or adding a new element to make it more interesting or shareable (Hudgins 2015).

I can do a better job of framing my content. I made sure to include a description of each article. However, I can add my own insight to each post.

8.  Content curation is not about collecting links or being an information pack rat, it is more about using context with organization, annotation, and presentation. Content curators provide a customized, vetted selection of the best and most relevant resources on a very specific topic or theme.  (Kanter, 2011)

I think that my content is relevant, easy to find and organized well.

9. Creative content curation assembles, selects, categorizes, comments on, and presents the most relevant, highest quality information to meet your audience’s needs on a specific subject.  (Cohen, 2014)

I’ve done each of those criteria in #9, with the exception of comments. Although I did comment on some, not all, of my content as I shared it.

10.    Expand your reading selection by subscribing to new blogs so that you can effectively engage in professional learning to aid in creating new material.

I posted from a few professional blogs related to my content them. I probably need to find a couple more blogs to select my content from.



11.  Be seen. Recent algorithmic research on user experience emphasized that the reputation of the media curator had a significant impact on a learner's’ perception of content quality (Pelleg et. al, 2016).

I posted my content on Scoop.it.

12. Be consistent. To be a successful curator you must be on the cutting edge.  While there is a great deal of value in historical content, it must be balanced with real time information.

My content is a mix of real time and historical content. All the content is relatively new. Nothing is older than ten years.

13.  Curators can learn a great deal about how to adjust outreach efforts based on user dwell time, the number of times a user returns to a page, or how often a learner engages in topical discussion rather than being a passive viewer (Lehmann et al, 2012). In order to facilitate engagement curators should be sure to match content with the right community and tag content appropriately (Holland, B. 2014).

I matched my content with the right community and I also added relevant tags to each article that I shared.

14.   Relevance.  There is no space in curation for a one hit wonder.  Successful curators are active participators, known for engagement.  Successful curators seek out the most current ways to reach out and connect with their audience.

Thus far I have only shared content on Scoop.it and Twitter. I will continue to find other new avenues to curate and share content.

15.   Use According to John Laskaris of TalentLMS, order to maintain relevant information you must use a variety of tracking methods to track frequency your learners engaging with content (Elearning Industry, 2014).

Scoop.it has built in tracking.  

No comments:

Post a Comment